During a lunch break last year, Cecilia Doan’s co-worker mentioned she was coveting a pair of shoes she had seen a favorite blogger wearing in a photograph online. Cecilia blurted out the phrase “shit bloggers wear!” and an idea was born. Doan started creating black and white drawings of sartorial items that seemingly “appeared” at the same time on all of the major fashion blogs—thanks to brand endorsements—and uploaded her drawings to her newly minted website, “Shit Bloggers Wear.” The sense of humor inherent in Doan’s skillfully executed minimalist drawings quickly garnered “Shit Bloggers Wear” attention; since the blog’s inception Doan has been asked to collaborate with Topshop, The Coveteur, Fashionista, Complex Media, Grandlife Hotels, Fashion Magazine, and Of A Kind. When we meet someone like Doan it is easy to get caught up in all of their accomplishments and makes us wonder—what tools are in this person’s arsenal? So we asked Doan to sit down and document what her essentials are, the objects that get her through the day—and we aren’t talking about those Balenciaga boots.
Cecilia sent us the following collection of essentials (clockwise from top, left corner):
- Trader Joe's Mangoes: I always need snacks because I'm constantly hungry, or at least craving to munch on something throughout the day. So a bag of dried fruit like this will be finished in just a day or two. I actually bought the wrong mangoes this time, because they ran out of the "Just Mangoes" which has no added ingredients and tastes like the mangoes I grew up eating.
- Headphones: I'm at my computer for about 10-12 hours a day. I'm constantly on SoundCloud during that time, because I'm trying to learn more about music, new music that's out by up-and-coming artists—artists of my generation. I grew up with a very narrow scope of music and I'm trying to catch up.
- Toki Doki for Smashbox Skin Tint: This has been mine for what, about 4 years? It sounds kind of gross because I don't think you're supposed to keep cosmetics for that long. Anyway, my natural lip color is pretty nude and I am horrible, absolutely horrible, at wearing lipstick so I opt for ‘all-in-ones’ or tinted lip balm. It requires less precision, and won't get in the way of my snack habit.
- Japanese Shortbread: Asian snacks are some of my favorite, especially things that are green tea flavored.
- iPhone Charging Cable: I'm notoriously known among my friends to always have the lowest charge on my iPhone at any given point. I don't know why, because I constantly close my apps when I'm not actively using them. This is a much needed utility, so I can continue to waste hours on Tumblr.
- Sticky Notes & Instax Fujifilm: Some people use Moleskins or Field Notes, I just use sticky notes. I'm a perfectionist, or a control freak, or OCD ... whatever you want to see it as. And if I used journals I would constantly be tearing out pages because I didn't like the way I wrote a certain sentence. I stick the sticky notes everywhere and they're really effective because they're constantly in my face and remind me to make things happen. As far as the Instax Fujifilm ... it's a fun camera (not pictured) that I reserve for moments with friends and family. This photograph is with my niece who actually reminds me way too much of myself as a child.
- Polka Dot Pouch: This is the only "purse" I carry with me. I purchased it from the Japanese Delfonics gift shop inside the Louvre in Paris. It is PVC, super cheap, and really cute. I have several in various patterns like this. They're very "CDG" (Comme Des Garçons).
- Pens: Ballpoint pens make me cringe. I write and illustrate with ink pens only. Brand, type and point size doesn't really matter as long as the ink continues to flow heavy. The other pen is a Pentel Japanese brush pen for calligraphy. I use it to fill in areas in some of my illustrations. I couldn't possibly shade so thoroughly with the ink pen alone.
- Car Keys: I love my Mini Cooper and I'm actually pretty proud to have this round disk for a key. I've wanted a Mini since I was in high school. I finally got it two years ago and it was a huge ‘adult’ moment for me, except it drives like a go-kart and makes me feel so badass.
- iPhone 5: Everyone feels really sorry for my phone, which is cracked and dented to near smithereens. I dropped it in Hong Kong, after losing it and finding it again in Japan. I think it doesn't want to live any more ... but I'm making it hang on for dear life—it could be months or forever until the next iPhone comes out.
- Leather Notebook: Sometimes, I do take notes in these things. I bring them to meetings (along with my sticky notes) so people will take me more seriously. Mostly, I write lists in them.
- Hand Shit Hand Cream: Why do your hands feel so dry and gross after you wash them? I'm not devoted to this brand or product, it was just funny and I'm a sucker for anything corny.
- Japanese Strawberry Cheesecake Kit Kat: Did I mention I liked to snack? Asian snacks?